VA welcomes opportunities to work together with other organisations and participate in European projects. Below we outline the experience and expertise that we are able to bring to partnerships.
- Research: Conducting studies and surveys into the relationship between science and society. This includes an annual barometer into the Swedish public’s attitudes towards science and researchers (comparable data since 2002) as well as specific studies into societal groups, such as teachers, business and the media.
- Event management: Public engagement activities aimed at stimulating dialogue between researchers and the public in novel ways and in new arenas. These include workshops, science festivals (including Researchers’ Night in Sweden), mass experiments, conferences, science cafés and competitions.
- Knowledge hub for public engagement and science communication in Sweden with experience developing toolkits and best practice guidelines.
- Projects specifically aimed at engaging young people, including mass experiments, student parliaments and science festivals.
- Science education initiatives, including the identification of teachers’ needs and provision of support.
- Media and communications training for scientists as well as an annual science communication competition for researchers.
- Knowledge of RRI (Responsible Research and Innovation) and aspects of Open Science. VA was the Swedish hub for the EU project RRI Tools and is currently a partner in two EU open science projects ORION and SciShops.
- Citizen science – VA coordinates an annual citizen science mass experiment, is developing a Swedish citizen science portal and is also a partner in the EU-Citizen.Science project. Also a member of ECSA (European Citizen Science Association).
- Advocacy work to inform and influence research policy at a national and international level.
- VA was the coordinator of a national advocacy platform for Science with and for Society activity in Sweden involving 30 Swedish stakeholders.
- Facilitation of workshops, focus groups, training and discussion forums.
- Dissemination and communication expertise (online and offline), including leading Communication and Dissemination work within EU projects.
- Stakeholder consultation and management.
- Extensive national and international networks.
We are particularly interested in projects relating to:
- Public engagement and science communication, particularly new and innovative ways of stimulating dialogue between science and society and disseminating knowledge
- Open Science
- Citizen Science
- Responsible research and innovation
- Science Education
Current EU-funded projects:
Coordinator of European Researchers’ Night in Sweden
Partner in the Horizon 2020 project ORION
Partner in the Horizon 2020 project Bloom
Partner in the Horizon 2020 project Allthingsbio
Partner in the Horizon 2020 project EU-Citizen.Science
Third Party in the Horizon 2020 project RETHINK
Member in international networks
• Ecsite – European network of science centres and museums
• ECSA – European Citizen Science Association
• Eusea – European Science Engagement Association
VAs Secretary General Cissi Askwall is President of the board.
• Citizen Science Association connecting educators, scientists, data managers involved in citizen science
• Falling Walls Engage – Sweden Hub – international hubs bring together science engagers from all over the world in local communities.
If you would like to discuss opportunities for collaboration, please get in touch with:
Cissi Askwall, Secretary General of VA