ORION is a collaborative EU project exploring ways in which research and funding organisations in life sciences and biomedicine can open up the way they fund, organise and do research. VA (Public & Science) is one of the nine partners in the project. The project started in May 2017 and will run for four years.
ORION (Open Responsible research and Innovation to further Outstanding kNowledge) will engage many different types of stakeholders in the project including research and funding organisations, citizens, policy makers, and industry.
ORION will explore ways in which research and funding organizations in life sciences and biomedicine can open up the way they fund, organize and do research. The project aims to trigger evidence-based institutional, cultural and behavioural changes in Research Funding and Performing Organizations (RFPOs), targeting researchers, management staff and high-level leadership.
The long-term vision is to “embed” Open Science and Responsible Research and Innovation (RRI) principles (ethics, gender, governance, open access, public engagement, and science education) in RFPOs, in their policies, practices and processes to organize and do research.
Core elements of the project include:
- Benchmarking (through surveys, case studies, personal interviews, focus groups and stakeholder assessment workshops,) to analyse existing open science knowledge and practices and better understand the current landscape.
- Co-creation experiments involving multiple stakeholders around three specific challenges: Opening up the research engine; Identifying risks and opportunities presented by disruptive technologies; and Running citizen science projects in fundamental research.
- Training: developing and running training for researchers and professional staff at funding agencies on RRI and Open Science concepts, practices and tools.
All materials and resources produced by ORION will be widely disseminated and freely available.
- Centre for Genomic Regulation, Spain (Project co-ordinator)
- ANT Foundation, Italy
- Babraham Institute, UK
- The Central European Institute of Technology, Czech Republic
- CRECIM, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Spain
- Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Spain
- Max Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine, Germany
- South Moravian Centre for International Mobility, Czech Republic
- VA (Public & Science), Sweden
If you would like to find out about ORION, please contact Maria Hagardt International Relations & Communications Manager at VA.