RETHINK is an EU-funded Horizon 2020 project that aims to bring about meaningful, long-term change in science communication to maximise the opportunities and overcome the challenges of digitalization. VA (Public & Science) is a third party in this project and the project started 1 February 2019 and will run for three years.
The mission of RETHINK is to improve the quality of interactions between science and society by providing concrete recommendations and training resources for nurturing open and reflexive science-society interfaces.
- map the science communication ecosystem including relations, action repertoires and responsibilities of the actors involved in this ecosystem
- characterize the interactions between science and society and the opening up of science
- investigate the effects that digitalisation is having on sensemaking practices as well as in the quality of interactions between science and society
- provide a picture of current science communication training; potentially revealing gaps in its scope given today’s challenges and priorities and revealing science communicators, especially those on digital platforms, who are currently underserved
- form seven “Rethinkerspaces”: a network of stakeholders that will feed the research in the project by mapping national landscapes but also by becoming test beds to observe, experiment and learn with new strategies
- new ways of training those who engage in science communication, including those who might be underserved by current training – such as bloggers and social media commentators
- online briefs aimed at changing current science communication practices to break down barriers preventing open R&I and reach underserved audiences across the European Union
- strategies to improve individual and collective sensemaking by enhancing its openness and reflexivity
- guidance on policy will also be provided to create an environment that encourages open R&I.
All of these outputs will be open access, as will the data generated during the research process to encourage a broad discussion and maximise uptake.
Seven “Rethinkerspaces” will be established in Italy, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Serbia, Sweden and the UK respectively. A Rethinkerspace is a heterogeneous group of around 15 participants of mixed transdisciplinary backgrounds and perspectives that serves as a learning environment where the collective process of inquiry, experimentation and reflective learning will take place. The Rethinkerspaces communities are well connected to their own peer communities and act as ambassadors of the transformation.
The RETHINK project brings together six partners as well as four linked Third Parties from ten European countries. The Coordinator is the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU).
- Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam , Netherlands (Project Coordinator)
- The European Network for Science Centres & Museums (Ecsite), Belgium
- The University of the West of England , England
- Zeppelin University, Germany
- SISSA Media Lab , Italy
- The Danish Board of Technology Foundation , Denmark
- Copernicus Science Centre, Poland
- Center for the Promotion of Science, Serbia
- The Instituto de Tecnologia Química e Biológica at Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Portugal
- Vetenskap & Allmänhet, Sweden
Get in touch and join the Rethinkerspaces!
If you have any questions or would like further information, please contact Anders Sahlman, Project Manager.