GENDERACTIONplus is a new EU Horizon Europe project seeking to advance gender equality in the European Research Area through capacity building, policy exchange and coordination, as well as the provision of strategic policy advice. VA (Public & Science) is one of 26 partners, whose specific role is to manage citizen and stakeholder engagement within the project. The three-year project runs from June 2022 – June 2026.
The overall goal of GENDERACTIONplus is to support Gender Equality policy coordination and integration in the new European Research Area (ERA) through a coordination network of representatives of national authorities and Research Funding Organisations (RFOs) responsible for Gender Equality in Research and Innovation.
This will be achieved through a fourfold strategy:
- Build Policy and Research Funding Organisation (RFO) Communities of Practice (CoPs) as infrastructures for sustainability, through advancing knowledge, mutual learning and exchange.
- Increase robustness and buy-in of ERA policy solutions, by engaging a broad range of ERA stakeholders as well as civil society organisations (CSO) and citizens.
- Reduce existing geographic inequalities that exist in the EU by developing dedicated actions aimed at the less experienced / less engaged countries, through capacity building and the demand-driven actions of the European Gender Equality Taskforce.
- Increase awareness and uptake of Gender Equality policy solutions in the ERA, through dissemination, communication and exploitation, including National Impact Plans and and an EU impact plan.
The five thematic areas that the project will address are:
- intersectionality and inclusiveness
- gender-based violence
- the gender dimension in R&I
- the monitoring of gender equality actions at the MS level in the new ERA, including the development of a monitoring mechanism and indicators
- the development of a system for monitoring and evaluating the implementation and impact of gender equality plans (GEPs) as the main instrument to promote inclusive institutional changes in the new ERA.
VA will be responsible for managing citizen and stakeholder engagement across the project. Engagement activities will be shaped around each thematic area and appropriate target groups at both EU and national levels in order to inform the development of policy advice and increase awareness of gender equality issues. VA will also support partner capacity building and mutual learning.
Two other Swedish partners participating in the project are the innovation agency, Vinnova, which is leading the Community of Practice for Research Funding Organisations, and the Swedish Secretariat for Gender Research at the University of Gothenburg, which is leading the work on gender-based violence and sexual harassment.
The GENDERACTIONplus project builds on the Horizon 2020 project GENDERACTION implemented from 2017 to 2021, the work of the Standing Working Group on Gender in Research and Innovation (SWG GRI) and the work of the FORGEN Community of Practice of RFOs developed in the ACT project implemented 2018 to 2021.
Institute of Sociology of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Czech Republic (Coordinator)
Institute for Advanced Studies, Austria
Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research of Austria, Austria
Joanneum Research Forschungsgesellschaft mbH , Austria
Bulgarian National Science Fund, Bulgaria
The Technology Agency of the Czech Republic, Czech Republic
University of Southern Denmark, Denmark
Estonian Research Council, Estonia
The German Aerospace Centre, Germany
Higher Education Authority, Ireland
Regional Foundation for Biomedical Research, Italy
Ministry of Innovation, Science & Technology, Israel
Research Council Lithuania, Lithuania
Vilnius University Šiauliai Academy, Lithuania
Kilden at the Research Council of Norway, Norway
Ministry of Education and Research, Norway
National Information Processing Institute, Poland
The Foundation for Science and Technology, Portugal
The Executive Agency for Higher Education, Research, Development and Innovation Fund (UEFISCDI), Romania
Matej Bel University, Slovakia
Fundación Española para la Ciencia y la Tecnología, Spain
University of Gothenburg, Sweden
VA (Public & Science), Sweden
The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey, Turkey
In addition, the project has 14 Associated Partners.
GENDERACTIONplus project is funded by the European Union’s Horizon Europe research and innovation programme under grant agreement No. 101058093.