VA (Public & Science) is an independent non-profit membership organisation based in Stockholm, Sweden. VA works to promote dialogue and openness between researchers and the public. Since its foundation in 2002, VA has organised hundreds of activities and carried out more than 60 studies and surveys. The organisation is funded through membership fees, project grants and a grant from the Swedish Ministry of Education and Research.
VA’s goals are to:
• Promote and encourage contact and the exchange of ideas between the public and researchers
• Increase society’s knowledge about:
- research processes and results
- the public’s view of research
- ways to better communicate and promote dialogue about science and research
• Give researchers insights and inspiration on how to relate their research to topical issues facing society
• Build networks for the exchange of ideas, meetings and collaborations.
You can read more about VA and its goals in the information folder, available to download here in English.
VA arranges many events and activities aimed at stimulating dialogue between researchers and the public in new ways and in novel arenas. You can read about VA’s Public Engagement activities here.
VA also carries out studies and surveys with the aim of increasing knowledge about the relationships between science and society at large. This includes an annual barometer into the publics’ general attitudes towards science and researchers (translated each year into English), and more specific studies into societal groups such as journalists, teachers or the business community.
VA in Europe
VA is an outward-looking organisation engaged in projects with many European partners and organisations. Many reports and report summaries are available in English. Everyone working at VA has excellent English skills and will be happy to answer any questions about VA’s work or future collaborations.
For further information please contact
Cissi Askwall, Secretary general
Tel.: +46 (0)8 791 30 54
Mobile: +46 (0)70 626 44 74